Thursday, November 15, 2012

Show some respect!

 Do you ever feel like parked cars get more respect than us runners?  People don't think twice about driving around or leaving plenty of room between them and a parked car.  But when they see me running on the side of the road, they keep driving as though I'm not even there.  Not all drivers, but I'd say more than half.  Why is that?  When I see a runner on the side of the road, not only am I secretly cheering for them (Go, go, go!), but I make sure to give them plenty of space.  Why not?  Do you want to be that guy that takes out someone's Achilles tendon?

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Most people don't seem to care about us out there. I notice it at intersections with people pulling way out into the crosswalk and then glaring at me when I expect to use the crosswalk. It makes me nervous as I usually run with a stroller. You just never know what could happen.
    Also, like you, I am cheering on those runners that I see while I am driving. Usually I am jealous that they are out there while I am not able to. Always remember to stay alert and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run on country roads and the cars FLY past me. I think some drivers try to see how close they can get to me without actually hitting me. Lilwelly5, I get that jealous feeling too and if I haven't already ran that day then I just feel guilty. Be safe everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No joke, Nikki! That's part of the reason I love walking and running so early in the morning (5am) - no traffic. I've actually had people speed up - I'm sure not to actually hit me, but as a prank. Not terribly funny, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that I have a newfound respect for runners because of you, Nikki :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in an area that has no sidewalks and so I am forced to run along the side of the road and (knock on wood) most people are pretty awesome. They drive WAY too fast on the curvy road, but a lot of people give me space.
    I am like you, I give them an entire lane when I have to pass a runner or bicyclist!
    Did have someone pull over once and want to talk to me...
    I became the worlds fastest runner!
    First time visiting your blog, BTW!
    Sweat Pink!

    ReplyDelete