Sunday, February 10, 2013

Winter Running Woes

I live in Wisconsin.  I know a thing or two about winter running.  Running in the winter for most people, myself included, is more about maintaining than about training.  Not only are there not many races in the Midwest this time of year, it's hard to find your groove when you're dodging slush piles, melted snow puddles, black ice and of course non-attentive drivers.

It's no secret, I hate the dreadmill.  Running indoors in the winter simply is just not an option for me.  That's not to say I don't ever do it.  If it's been a couple of days since I've got a run in and now there's black ice, I will put myself through the torture known as indoor running.  You just can't beat that feeling of the fresh air, the road and you.  In fact, the other day when the ice finally melted and 75% of the street was actually dry, I was overcome with the urge to just get out there and run on it. I could have went an ENTIRE mile with no frozen precip in my way. Glorious!

But for now, I'll take the layers, the claw mittens, the sloppy slush and the frosty air.  Training season is almost upon us!

No comments:

Post a Comment